OUR SUMMER READS 2016

September 15, 2016


Hello, it's Antonia here. I don't know about you, but one of my absolute favourite things to do is get lost in a good book! When I'm on holiday in particular, I barely stop reading! I wanted to share with you a few of my favourite reads from this summer! They are mostly chick-lits so if that's your genre you might want to give some of these a go! 

What Alice Forgot, Liane Moriarty 
Alice is twenty-nine. She adores sleep, chocolate, and her ramshackle new house. She's newly engaged to the wonderful Nick and is pregnant with her first baby.
There's just one problem. All of that was ten years ago . . .Alice has slipped in a step-aerobics class, hit her head and lost a decade. Now she's a grown-up, bossy mother of three in the middle of a nasty divorce and her beloved sister Elisabeth isn't speaking to her. This is her life but not as she knows it.
Clearly Alice has made some terrible mistakes. Just how much can happen in a decade?
Can she ever get back to the woman she used to be?
I have read quite a few Liane Moriarty books and I have loved all of them, this is another really good book to add to the list! If you are a fan of her books then you will almost definitely like this. At first glance I thought it looked like just another memory loss story, it's been done time and time again, but I actually really liked this! I was hooked from the beginning, it's both funny and heartbreaking at times and left me really intrigued to find out what had happened to make Alice such a hugely different person! 

The Queen's Poisoner, Jeff Wheeler
King Severn Argentine’s fearsome reputation precedes him: usurper of the throne, killer of rightful heirs, ruthless punisher of traitors. Attempting to depose him, the Duke of Kiskaddon gambles…and loses. Now the duke must atone by handing over his young son, Owen, as the king’s hostage. And should his loyalty falter again, the boy will pay with his life.
Seeking allies and eluding Severn’s spies, Owen learns to survive in the court of Kingfountain. But when new evidence of his father’s betrayal threatens to seal his fate, Owen must win the vengeful king’s favor by proving his worth—through extraordinary means. And only one person can aid his desperate cause: a mysterious woman, dwelling in secrecy, who truly wields power over life, death, and destiny.
I bought this book as I wanted to read something a little different, it's definitely not my usual genre. I'm really glad I decided to give it a go, I absolutely loved it! It's the first of a trilogy of books and I will definitely be reading the other two. I'd say it has a bit of a Game of Thrones feel to it, minus the sex, violence and death. You might think that would take all the fun away but I was still very pleasantly surprised by this book, the characters are all very entertaining and I found that I really wanted to find out what happens to Owen.

See me, Nicholas Sparks
Colin Hancock is giving his second chance his best shot. At twenty-eight, he's focused on getting his teaching degree and avoiding all the places and people that proved so destructive in his past. The last thing he's looking for is a serious relationship. But when he crosses paths with Maria Sanchez one rainswept night, his carefully structured life is turned upside down. And when Maria, a hardworking lawyer, meets Colin she begins to question every notion she has ever had about herself and her future - and what truly makes her happy.
Before the couple has a chance to envision a life together, menacing reminders from events in Maria's past begin to surface. And as the threat of violence begins to shadow her every step, she and Colin will be pushed to breaking point.
We are both huge lovers of Nicholas Sparks, so when we found out there was a new book, we obviously had to read it! My favourite Nicholas Sparks books are the ones where a bit of excitement and drama happens alongside the obligatory romance. The book starts on a fairly menacing note, and from the very first page I wanted to know what was going to happen! Colin is such a likeable character and I did not want to put this book down until i finished it. 

Billy and Me, Giovanna Fletcher
Sophie May has a secret.
One that she's successfully kept for years. It's meant that she's had to give up her dreams of going to university and travelling the world to stay in her little village, living with her mum and working in the local teashop.
But then Sophie unexpectedly meets the gorgeous Billy Buskin - a famous actor with ambitions to make it to the top. As they begin to grow closer, Sophie finds herself whisked away from the comfort of her life into Billy's glamorous - but ruthless - world.
After years of shying away from attention, can Sophie handle the constant scrutiny that comes with being with Billy? How much is she prepared to give up along the way? And is their love strong enough to keep them together against the odds?
We both read this book while on holiday and it was definitely a favourite. If you're into a good romance and dream about being swept of your feet by a beautiful celebrity, then this book is definitely for you! Sophie basically lives our dream life, she bakes for a living and captures the attention of a gorgeous celebrity! There is a sequel to this and I think we will both be reading it in the very near future!

You and Me, Always, Jill Mansell
On the morning of Lily's twenty-fifth birthday, it's time to open the very last letter written to her by her beloved mother, who died when she was eight.
Learning more about the first and only real love of her mum's life is a revelation. On the same day, Lily also meets Eddie Tessler, a man fleeing fame who just might have the ability to change her world in unimaginable ways. But her childhood friend Dan has his own reasons for not wanting Lily to get too carried away by Eddie's attentions.
Before long, secrets begin to emerge and Lily's friends and family become involved. In the beautiful Cotswold village of Stanton Langley, nothing will ever be the same again..
This one has a similar idea to Billy and Me in that the main character is swept into the world of celebrities, fame and excitement by a gorgeous celebrity who magically appears at her doorstep! I'm still waiting for this to happen to me...Where is my Eddie Tessler?! I absolutely loved this book, it was light-hearted, funny and has an incredibly sweet ending! If you're a romantic comedy lover, then I would absolutely recommend this! 

I hope you enjoyed reading this post, if you have read any of these, or plan to, please let me know what you thought!
Leave a comment if you have any recommendations for me, I am always on the lookout for a new book to read! 
To make sure you never miss a post you can follow us on Bloglovin', Instagram and like our Facebook page 'Sharkett Sisters'.
See you soon, 
Love, Antonia and Imogen x

You Might Also Like

Comments

Popular Posts

sharkettsisters Instagram Feed